Select Page

Lettings or Landlord Insurance

Home » Insurance » Lettings or Landlord Insurance

Landlord insurance is cover that protects landlords from risks associated with their rental property.

This usually includes buildings and contents insurance, but can also cover landlord-specific risks such as property owners’ liability, loss of rent, and tenant default insurance.

Do I need landlord insurance instead of regular house insurance?

There’s no legal obligation for a landlord to take out a dedicated insurance policy. However, a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities, and if you have a mortgage on your property it’s very likely that your lender will require you to take out landlord insurance before you take on tenants.

This cover usually includes the same type of protection as your standard house insurance, such as cover for buildings and contents in the event of a range of circumstances.  However, you also need certain extra cover as a landlord, including for:

  • Non-payment of rent.
  • Damage to your property (by the tenant).
  • Loss of earnings/rehousing costs if the tenants have to move out (following an insured event).
  • Liability for accidents in your property causing injury.

Policies are available to cover multiple properties, which can often work out cheaper if you have a portfolio.  Cover for different tenant types can also be provided, such as professionals, DSS referrals and non- referrals, students, unemployed and for unoccupied properties.

Contact us for a landlord insurance quote
Read our Protection Insurance Guide

We do not charge our customers a fee for quotations or arranging cover for any of the insurances that we offer.

We can visit you

Let us know when is convenient to call round

You can visit us

Come to see us in Cambridge, we have parking

We can call you

Arrange to discuss everything over the phone

We are proud to be members of these organisations